Dog Training By Vetwest
Vetwest Dog Training is designed to provide owners with the tools to work with their dog in order to have a pet that is well behaved at home and in society.
By understanding how dogs learn and using positive reinforcement methods you will be able to train your dog to be a well-mannered member of the family.
Positive reinforcement techniques (reward-based training) are proven to work faster than aversive methods whilst maintaining the bond of trust between owner and dog.
Our instructors are highly experienced in helping clients get excellent results with their dogs and we think you'll be delighted by the results you start to see once you commence your training. It is expected that by week 6 of the training dog owners will have either eliminated or at least significantly reduced unwanted behaviours.
"We learnt heaps of tips and ideas on how to train and teach our dog. She responded to all it really well. The important part for us was the recall and getting around bigger dogs as she does get timid. I didn't realise how many things we were doing wrong!! Not anymore, thanks, Vetwest Dog Training" Mike and Barb.
Call us on 9404 1134
- Who can benefit?
- What dogs can benefit?
- About the course
- What does the course cover?
- About our instructors
- Requirements to attend Dog Training
- Venues, times and bookings
- Frequently asked questions
- Helpful links & Homework links
- Feedback from our clients
Anyone that wants to learn positive reinforcement techniques to train their dog into a well-mannered member of the family will benefit from Dog Training at Vetwest. By attending dog training, owners will learn what motivates their dog so their training methods can be adjusted to ensure positive outcomes.
We encourage all members of the family to attend so that everyone is working together with the dog. This achieves more consistent results, faster.
Children are able to train the dogs but must always have an adult present and be physically able to hold the dog.
Anyone who has not trained a dog before can quickly pick up positive reinforcement training. Those who may have trained dogs using aversive methods will find it easy to adjust.
"Fantastic fun. Thanks for helping us adapt to the Basenji breed. They can be so stubborn at times!! Thanks heaps!" Kyal
Note - All Dogs must be fully vaccinated to attend dog training.
- Dogs of all ages
- Dogs of all breeds
- Dogs from 13 weeks of age at week one of the course can attend. There is no upper age limit. For dogs aged under 11 weeks see our Puppy Preschool here.
- Hearing impaired dogs are welcome
"We really liked the start, where Loral came around to address our individual issues. It was so helpful." Ben and Karina
Vetwest Dog Training courses consist of 1 class each week for 6 weeks. The first class is owners only with no dogs present. This enables the owners to concentrate on the advice being given by instructors without the distraction of their dog. This dog free lesson is extremely important as it sets the ground rules for the following classes so we encourage all family members to attend this one in particular. However, we do encourage all family members to come to all lessons.
Classes are small with no more than 8 dogs in a class. They are held outdoors, usually in a park, where there will be some distraction so owners and dogs are working in real life situations.
The 6-week course is $180 with one lesson each weekend running for one hour.
Clients will receive a dog training booklet to assist them through the course and to help continue the training once the 6-week program is finished.
On completion of the course, all will be presented with certificates and a graduation pack.
"Very experienced instructor and very friendly" Juan
- Sit, drop, heel, stay and stand
- Recall and loose lead walking
- Handling and targeting
- Mat training and tricks
The importance of appropriate dog to dog and dog to human interaction
How to deal with behaviour problems
Such as jumping up, mouthing, digging, chewing, barking.
Mental stimulation and environmental enrichment
How to keep your dog entertained while you cannot interact with them or are not home. This helps to prevent destructive behaviours and vocalisation.
Positive ways to ensure your dog sees you as the leader.
How to prevent undesirable behaviours when out and about.
Advice on your legal responsibilities
"We, as a family, have really enjoyed the past 6 weeks. Thanks so much" The Fernandez family
- Cert II Animal Care
- Cert III Companion Animal Services
- Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes
- Cert IV Veterinary Nursing - in progress
Adele has been actively involved in animal care & studies since 2004 and qualified as a dog trainer in 2008. Over the past 5 years she has been operating her own business offering mobile pet sitting, dog walking and private dog training. Adele is now increasing her knowledge of animals studying Vet Nursing with Vetwest. Adele grew up with many animals and currently has a 15 year old Staffy X Kelpie named Baxta, a domestic longhair cat called Mia and the baby of the family is their 6 month old hand raised cockatiel Lugia.
Steve has been an animal trainer for decades and has trained a vast variety of animals including whales, dolphins, seals, parrots and dogs.
- Qualified Zoo Keeper
- Worked with the RSPCA for the last three years
- Has a rescue dog called “Millie”
- Nationally Accredited Dog Trainer (South Metro TAFE WA IADT Skill Set)
- Cert IV Frontline Management (Australian Institute of Management)
- Internationally licenced Family Paws Parent Educator
- Current Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) Australia
- First Aid for Companion Animals
- Small Business Owner and Entrepreneur
- Cert IV Companion Animal Studies- In Progress
Ashleigh has been curious about animal behaviour since a very early age and decided that was her calling in life. Having worked with hundreds of different dogs, Ashleigh has experience working for dog clubs, groomers, Guide Dogs WA, rescue groups, private dog training businesses and in people’s homes working privately with them and their dogs (as well as the occasional cat). As a regular attendee of many professional development courses and conferences, Ashleigh is continuously expanding her knowledge of dogs and how to train them better. An advocate for positive training methods, and a creative person at heart, Ashleigh will do everything she can to make sure you have a heap of fun in her training classes.
Dogs must be at least 13 weeks of age at the beginning of week one of the course.
All dogs must be fully vaccinated (and 10 days has passed since receiving their final vaccination) by week two of the course. A current vaccination certificate must be provided at week one or at the very latest week two (first class with dogs) for those who have not had their dog vaccinated at Vetwest.
Padbury - New
Mindarie - New
Mandurah - New
Where: Vetwest Armadale-Byford
Address: 370 South Western Hwy, Wungong, WA 6112
When: Saturday afternoons
Contact: Vetwest Armadale-Byford 9404 1170 or 9404 1134
Getting there: Parking available on site. Previously Armadale-Byford Veterinary Hospital
How old does my dog have to be to attend?
Dogs from 13 weeks of age at week one of the course can attend (14 weeks old at the second class). There is no upper age limit.
Should I feed my dog before class?
Best not to feed him for a least two hours before the class to ensure his is going to be interested in your training treats.
How much does Dog Training cost?
Dog training is a 6-week course and the cost of the course is $180. Our Instructors are experienced in positive reinforcement training methods as well as dealing with dog behaviour problems and how to prevent them.
My dog already knows how to sit and drop is this class suitable?
One star is held outdoors with more distractions and the instructor can help you train him in this situation.
My whole family want to train our dog too, can they all come?
We encourage all the family to come but children must remain with the parents at all times.
I have two dogs, can I bring them both to the same class?
You can, however, we have found dogs from the same household seek each other out and owners struggle to get their attention resulting in poor outcomes. We strongly recommend you book the dogs into separate classes.
How do I book my Dog into class?
We currently hold training at numerous venues across Perth. Please call to book in for classes:
Vetwest Dog Training call 9404 1134 or contact the local Vetwest in your area
- Hocking - 9404 1177
- Armadale-Byford - 9404 1170
- Victoria Park - 9404 1140
- Beeliar - 9404 1199
- High Wycombe - 9404 1134
- Padbury - 9404 1133
- Mandurah - 9404 1190
- Mindarie - 9404 1155
Or complete the online enquiry form above.
What do I need to bring to classes?
Clients are asked to bring each week:
- Kong or chew for the dog
- Mat for the dog
- Chair for each member of the family
- High-value treats.
- Treat pouch
- 1.8m lead preferably. Shorter soft woven leads are acceptable. Retractable leads, bungy leads and chain leads are not appropriate for training.
- Flat collar or martingale collar or harness.
Owners should also avoid feeding their dogs for at least 2 hours prior to the start of each class so they are hungry enough to respond to the training treats used.
My dog is going to be sterilised during the course can I still bring it to training?
Your vet will recommend you keep the dog calm for 7 to 10 days after sterilisation. If you get your dog sterilised early in the week you will only miss one class which will be fine if it is week 2 – 4, as the Instructor will go over the previous week's lesson. If you miss week 5 the Instructor will not have time to revisit the previous week's lesson as week six is graduation. If appropriate, It would be best to have your dog sterilised before the classes start remembering your first week is dog free which will mean you will not have to miss a class.
My female dog is in season, can she attend dog training?
No, but we can book her in for when her season has finished
What is your refund policy?
A full refund is given if cancelled at least 7 days before the class starts. If cancellation occurs within 7 days of the class starting or after the class has started then no refund can be given.
- The benefits of taking your dog to obedience training
- Vetwest Puppy Pre-School
- Training tips for your dog
Homework - Recommended Links
- "Jenny was supportive and helpful. Thank you" Troy
- "Trainers very experienced and patient. The advice given was extremely helpful." Cathy
- "Both ladies were very kind, patient and knowledgeable. The sessions were a fun, no stress happy time. Instructions were easy to follow." Kate
- "Simply amazing" Christine
- "Really saw a marked improvement in our Mocha's temperament" Camille
- "Wonderful experience! Thank you!" Nick
- "Excellent course. Steve was amazing." Erryn
- "Thank you for the training and passion for our dogs! We learnt valuable training methods we can continue to use. Thank you!" Natalie
- "Valuable feedback provided each week. Tips with what harness to use to what food to provide for training. An approachable trainer who listened to our questions. " Fiona
- "Very pleased with value for money. Very calm trainer, supplied all tools needed." Christine
- "Steve was very knowledgeable and provided lots of tips for my dog. Very happy with the course." Wei
- "Loved the training. So much fun!" Shakirah
- "Great course with simple tips and tricks" Jenna
- "It was a lot better than I expected. Loral really got to know us and especially Gabby. With a nervous dog like Gabby, she would alter the exercises to make her more comfortable and never put pressure on anyone to do something they couldn't. I wish every owner would learn these positive training techniques" Lauren
- "Value for money" Andrew
- "Great instructor. Well worth it. Thanks Steve!" Peter
- "Very impressed with the whole experience, especially since our dog is deaf." Angela
- "Great class. Lots of fun too" Shandelle
- "Learnt a lot of good tricks and techniques that have helped at home and on walks". Kathryn
- "Steve was so great - very gentle and patient with Deedee and made her feel comfortable. Very impressed and could not be happier. Thank you!" Monika