If your pet has been stung by a bee or insect, please follow the instructions below.
Carefully remove the sting and bathe the area with cool water
Restrict exercise to help decrease blood supply to the area and therefore pain and swelling
Observe your pet carefully
You may notice slight changes such as puffiness in the face, lips and eyes as well as "lumpy" looking skin in the bite area
A bee sting can be life threatening if your pet has a severe allergic or anaphylactic reaction to the sting. If your pet is uncomfortable or you notice severe facial and/or neck swelling, difficulty breathing, excessive salivation, collapse or a significant number of lumps in the skin, your pet may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Treat this situation as a medical emergency and see your veterinarian immediately
If your pet is one of a small number of dogs that is unfortunately severely allergic to Hymenoptera (bees, wasps, hornets) stings then there is now available a process of desensitisation. This involves a series of desensitisation injections (similar to those available for pollen and dust allergens) over a period of time, obviously under careful observation. Please talk to your veterinarian if you would like more information.