If your dog jumps to the sound of the word 'schmako' or your cat lives for a special treat then it is likely you are one of many pet owners who are tempted to sneak their pet a snack. For most pets, particularly those on specific Prescription Diets this can have dire effects. So why not try your hand at baking home made treats using your pet's prescription product. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3...
Wet (Can) product
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees
- Tip your pet's can of prescription diet onto a carving board
- Cut into bite-sized pieces using a sharp, clean knife
- Place the pieces on a baking tray and place in your preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a desired texture is reached.
- Cool and store the treats in your refrigeration for no longer than 5-7 days.
Dry (Bag) product
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- Grind the kibbles (biscuits) into flour using a blender.
- Mix with enough water to form a pliable dough, just like pastry!
- Roll the dough flat on a chopping board and cut into treat size pieces using a clean sharp knife. If you have a pastry tool, (even better in the shape of a bone or fish), cut the shapes out using the tool.
- Place the pieces on a baking tray and place in your preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes until crisp.
- Cool and store the treats in your refrigerator for no longer than 5-7 days.
The home made treats should not exceed 5% of your pet's total daily intake as baking the treats does alter the nutritional characteristics of the diet.
These recipes are designed specifically for Hill's Prescription Diet foods by the team at Hills Pet Nutrition.